If you are sure that you are entering the correct login credentials to sign in to your Hotmail account, however, still you are unable to access it, then the possible reason behind this error could be that someone has hacked your account and changed the password of it. If you are facing such an issue with your Hotmail account, you can regain access to your account by resetting the password of it.
To know how to reset the password of your Hotmail account, follow the step-by-step instructions provided below in this guide.
8 Steps to Reset Password of Hacked Hotmail Account
NOTE: As a Hotmail comes associated with a Microsoft account, it means that resetting the password of your Microsoft account will reset the password of your Hotmail account as well. Below you can find the detailed instructions for resetting the password of your Microsoft account.
- Open a supported web browser on your computer and go to the Microsoft Account Recovery
- On the Account Recovery page, you will need to enter the username (Email, Phone, or Skype name) of your Microsoft account in the provided field and click on the Next You will be directed to the next screen.
- On the next screen, you will be given account recovery options associated with your account. Account recovery options generally include an email address and/or phone number provided by you during the registration of your account. The Account recovery options are important as they help in the recovery of your account by proving your identity as the rightful owner of the account. The recovery options given on your screen are most likely to as shown below:
- Email example@**mail.com
I don’t have any of these
- If you select the first option “Email example@**mail.com” option and click on the Get code button on your screen, a verification code will be sent to your email address. However, if you select the second option “Text*********48” option, enter the last 4 digits of your phone number, and click on the Get code button, you will receive a verification code on your phone number.
- Once you receive the verification code on the selected phone number or email address, you will need to enter it in the provided field on the subsequent screen.
- After entering the verification code in the provided field, you will need to click on the Next
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to enter the new password in the provided fields. After entering the new password in the provided fields, you will need to click on the Next
- The password for your Hotmail account will be changed right away. You will be able to regain access to your Hotmail account.
NOTE: It’s not necessary that when someone hacks your account, he may not change your account password and let you access your account as usual. Therefore, it is recommended to keep a track of the activities occurring in your account to ensure that someone else is not misusing your account.
So, these are the instructions you will need to follow in order to regain access to your hacked Hotmail account. For further assistance you can call Hotmail customer service helpline number to fix Hotmail issues.